The German batteries act stipulates that automotive, industrial and portable batteries must not disposed in private household waste. There are several good reasons not to do so.
On one hand batteries contain valuable raw materials such as metals that could be recycled and reused. Moreover, batteries contain harmful substances like Mercury, Lead or Cadmium which are harmful for people, animals and the environment.
The German batteries act therefore requires producers of portable batteries to join a battery take-back scheme that will take care of the environmental sound collection and recycling of waste portable batteries. The cost for the collection and the recycling have to be borne by the producers.
Furthermore, the German batteries act requires municipal collection sites, recycling organizations and distributors of portable batteries to collect waste portable batteries free of charge from consumers and hand them over to a take back scheme.
Producers of automotive industry batteries have to for fill their vacations from the batteries act through offering distributors and treatment facilities to take automotive and industrial batteries back free of charge and to treat and recycle those batteries at their own cost.
The obligations for producers resulting from the batteries act are complex and broad.
Our services at a glance:
- Operation of an accredited battery scheme for take-back of portable batteries including registration of battery producers with the federal environmental agency (UBA).
- Adequate collection and treatment of waste batteries according to legal regulations under compliance with highest environmental friendly standards from regularly audited treatment partners.
- Communication with recycling organizations and authorities.
- Fulfilment of your collection obligation in accordance with the German Batteries Act.
- Bespoke take-back services for industrial batteries including transport safety regulations compliance (ADR) and execution of mandatory correspondence and reporting with relevant authorities.
Being Germany’s second largest producer owned take-back scheme for portable batteries, Landbell is taking care of all obligations resulting from the batteries act regarding collection and treatment of waste portable batteries on behalf of producers.
In line with these obligations, Landbell is providing free of charge collection containers for portable batteries in various dimensions. With Landbell’s collection containers, organizations can collect their waste portable batteries that incur at work or at home. Teams and associations can require an Landbell collection box to collect batteries at their sites and return them free of charge to Landbell.
Of course, Landbell is also collecting waste portable batteries from municipal collection sites, recycling organizations and shops that sell portable batteries.
You will get further informationen about the battery law here (only in German Language)